Singing crickets - at last!

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
Jason Viner

Singing Crickets!!

Post by Jason Viner »

Hi

At the Recent BSD Congress Hamish Miller played a tape of singing crickets that had been slowed down. Does anyone know where I can get a copy from????

Thanks
Jas. :D
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: Singing Crickets!!

Post by Ian Pegler »

Jason Viner wrote:Hi

At the Recent BSD Congress Hamish Miller played a tape of singing crickets that had been slowed down. Does anyone know where I can get a copy from????
Weren't they Buddy Holly's backing group?

:wink:

Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

I have a bit of an update on this - I had a word with Hamish about it at this year's Congress, and he said it was a private American recording that he is not allowed to duplicate because of copyright reasons. So it looks like we'll have to live without the singing crickets for the moment.
:(
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Singing crickets - at last!

Post by Grahame »

Some years ago during a talk at Conference, Hamish Miller played a recording of crickets that, when slowed down, sounded amazingly musical. There was a post on the forum asking where the recording came from (although I can't seem to find it at the moment - it may have been deleted). But it did generate a lot of interest and many people asked where they could get hold of a copy.

Well, thanks to David Cowan, here is a link to that recording on YouTube (link broken) - But see this post on next page. It seems that this sound comes from a CD released in 1992 by Jim Wilson & David Carson "God's Chorus".

So now you know. If you were one of those folk who asked about the recording, you can sleep easy again :lol:
Last edited by Grahame on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link to post on page 2 with working link
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Re: Singing crickets - at last!

Post by ledgehammer »

Graham,

Thankyou,

another indication of a universal design process? ;-)

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

That is astonishing!! :shock: It reaches the soul.
Thank you so much for posting this, Grahame.

(PS I've ordered a copy of this from the US through Amazon - lord knows how long it will take to get here.)
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Helen-Healing wrote:That is astonishing!! :shock: It reaches the soul.
Thank you so much for posting this, Grahame.

(PS I've ordered a copy of this from the US through Amazon - lord knows how long it will take to get here.)
Helen,

In cricket years, or human? ;-)

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Tom - I paid the standard delivery charge, which was £5...but I'm told it will take from 1 to 2 months to arrive!! :shock:
How do they send it - by canoe across the Atlantic?? Or up to Canada, across the Bering Straits, down from Russia through Europe & then across the Channel??
I thought - in this day & age - everything went by airmail! It's only a CD for goodness sake!
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Helen-Healing wrote:Tom - I paid the standard delivery charge, which was £5...but I'm told it will take from 1 to 2 months to arrive!! :shock:
How do they send it - by canoe across the Atlantic?? Or up to Canada, across the Bering Straits, down from Russia through Europe & then across the Channel??
I thought - in this day & age - everything went by airmail! It's only a CD for goodness sake!
ouch....

can you send me the link, I make music and think it would be quite interesting to play about with....

Tom
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Helen

Ahhh... mahy thanks :-)

will send you a link of any finished music I can come up with :-)

Tom
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Singing Whales and now Crickets, what are we all missing,where I worked many years ago at Helen Street GEC on nights crickets would be calling all night long, and I have to say I never took a blind bit of notice, shame on me. :oops:
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Well I received it today - 6 days! So they didn't send it on a slow boat to China after all! 8)

It's so beautiful - really sounds like the massed voices of a choir - in a church for example.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Helen-Healing wrote:Well I received it today - 6 days! So they didn't send it on a slow boat to China after all! 8)

It's so beautiful - really sounds like the massed voices of a choir - in a church for example.
:-)

I recieved mine yesterday
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Any musical offering forthcoming from you, Tom, related to this CD? :mrgreen: