Signs of Dowsing Talent

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
areilla10

Signs of Dowsing Talent

Post by areilla10 »

Are there common signs or "symptoms" of have a talent for dowsing? I've read that anyone can learn to do it, but I'm skeptical. My grandmother did her best to teach me, but while the applewood branch would nearly twist the bark off in her hand, it did absolutely nothing in mine. Maybe it would be better to maybe try a set of copper L-rods.

Grandma was known locally as the person to call if you needed to know where to drill your well. I really, really wish I was able to do what she did, but alas, the talent for it appears to have missed me. My son is a lot like my Grandmother, and my daughter seems to also be a sensitive type. Are there traits that they might have that might indicate an innate talent for dowsing?

If anyone can tell me more about how to get started, and maybe describe for me the experience of dowsing, I might be able to figure out where I'm going wrong.

Thanks in advance!
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Signs of Dowsing Talent

Post by Grahame »

Hi Areilla, welcome to the forum.

Pretty much anyone can dowse, but it's like playing the piano - you need to practise a lot and even then, not everyone has the ability to become a concert pianist.

Being "skeptical" about it is pretty much guaranteed to prevent it working for you. You need to at least be open to the possibility that it might work. Also, the V-rod is probably not the easiest tool to start off with as there is a knack to the way you hold it; most people find that the angle rods are easier to get working.

There are lots of articles that you can find both on here and the web in general that will help with exercises to try, but I would suggest that the best recourse is to try and find a local dowsing group and meet with them. There's no substitute for practical experience with other dowsers. Check out the Canadian Society of Dowsers to see if there's anything happening near you; they have lots of local chapters in Ontario.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
areilla10

Post by areilla10 »

Hi Grahame! Thanks for the warm welcome. That's perfect! I see there's a local group called Limestone Dowsers of Kingston, which is the area where I live. I'll get in touch with them to see if they can maybe get me on the right track.

If by the v-rod, you mean the branch technique, I concur. It felt really awkward. The copper L-rods - the ones that cross over each other - would probably work better. They look like they'd be simple enough to make, too.

I guess I'm not so much skeptical as I am...hmm...tuned to a different frequency or something. I resonate more with people-energy than earth-energy I think. If I have psychic leanings, it's probably towards mediumship. I also have the unfortunate "talent" of occasionally foretelling a relative's death. I can't tell them the date or anything, but sometimes I'll start thinking of a distant relative - just out the clear blue sky - wondering about them. They'll keep coming to mind for a while. Then about a month later they'll pass away. It's happened often enough that I pay attention to it now.

Anyway, I'll have a look around the site to see what I can find for beginners guides. Thanks again!
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Hi Areilla I love your name, you sound like a busy lady with lots going on,to dowse well you have to clear the mind to allow it to work first,after a while you can clear the mind easy, but at first its hard.Once you can open your mind and body to the dowsing gift its like riding a bike, anyone can do it, but know you will fall off the bike a few times first....Try small things first to get going and ask yes or no questions to simple things before you take on harder things,try dowsing drain water pipes around the house or garden to get the feel of it, any movement of the L rod in any direction to start is good.As you learn dowsing dowsing learns you, its a two way thing Areilla,and you get out of it all and more you put in it, so dowse often and above all enjoy it, good luck.
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Hi from me- and good to see you here.
I concur completely with everything Grahame wrote. I would add two things.
1. (Obviously) you are not your grandmother. Dowsing is not a competition. If possible, set aside the fact that things didn't go as well as you hoped when she tried to teach you; instead, think about the fact that you may well have inherited some ability from her.
I guess I'm not so much skeptical as I am...hmm...tuned to a different frequency or something. I resonate more with people-energy than earth-energy I think. If I have psychic leanings, it's probably towards mediumship. I also have the unfortunate "talent" of occasionally foretelling a relative's death. I can't tell them the date or anything, but sometimes I'll start thinking of a distant relative - just out the clear blue sky - wondering about them. They'll keep coming to mind for a while. Then about a month later they'll pass away. It's happened often enough that I pay attention to it now.
Many (not all) dowsers are also "psychic". Energy is energy is energy. Is everything!
Some people choose to concentrate (key word!) on earth energies, some on healing energies, some on archaeological energies, some on....whatever. They are not mutually exclusive. As Mike also says, it's just a question of practice. Eventually you may find that you are able to use certain specific techniques for certain specific challenges- a holistic approach.
By the way, don't forget to protect yourself (plenty of posts on that within this forum). I'd also suggest you browse as many posts as you can here. On all sorts. Take advice from members of your local group- if possible work alongside as many others as you can. We are all different and, for me, experiential learning is the best (only) way to go...
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

areilla,
If anyone can tell me more about how to get started, and maybe describe for me the experience of dowsing, I might be able to figure out where I'm going wrong.
Try reading your fellow countryman, John Living. It's he who got me started. But beware, he seems to be a bit of a heretic as far as the dowsing community is concerned and one of his techniques (the one most valuable to me) is, at best, likely to get you excommunicated if mentioned at higher than a whisper and, at worst, found conked out by a standing stone with an L-rod through your heart. Just kidding, but you get my point?

Not all techniques are equally acceptable to the dowsing community so, if you wish to find a technique which works for you, don't rule out the advice of 'heretics'.