Magnetic sense in animals

Discussions relating to earth energy dowsing in general.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Magnetic sense in animals

Post by Grahame »

National Geographic wrote:Google Earth shows that cow and deer herds align like compass needles

For centuries, farmers have known that their livestock not only gather in large herds but also tend to face the same way when grazing. Experience and folk wisdom offer several possible reasons for this mutual alignment. They stand perpendicularly to the sun’s rays in the cool morning to absorb heat through their large flanks, or they stand in the direction of strong winds to avoid being unduly buffeted and chilled.

But cows and sheep don’t just line up during chilly spells or high wind. Their motivations for doing so during warm, pleasant and unremarkable weather, or indeed in the dead of night, have been a mystery until now. In a new paper, Sabine Begali from the University of Duisburg-Essen in Germany spied on aligned herds of cows and deer using satellite images from Google Earth.

The images revealed a striking behaviour that had been going unnoticed for millennia, right under the noses of herdsmen and hunters – their herds were lining up in a north-south line like a living compass needle. Influenced by a magnetic sense that has only just become apparent, their default point of reference is not the source of wind or the angle of the sun, but the Earth’s magnetic poles.
Click Here for full story.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Magnetic sense in animals

Post by Grahame »

And here's an interesting report on mapping magnetite particles in the human brain.

I recall an EEG meeting at Frilford in 2004(?) where there was a guest Swedish dowser who spoke about this, and also that Swedish scientists had identified magnetic areas at the ends of the longer bones in the arms and legs. I can't remember his name unfortunately, but I remember him very well as he had Parkinson's and his hands were very shaky, yet he could still hold an L-rod without it wobbling about.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
mike
Professional
Professional

Re: Magnetic sense in animals

Post by mike »

I have been dowsing with a clenched fist just using the small finger to pick up and dowse forces only for about 8 weeks now, but I find its very tiring doing this, while the trusty L rod does not wear you out as fast. I have used first the open fist method then the L rod to compare, and things are going well to date, but Im sure more methods are open to people if we just try a few times ??