Where do you start, what do you ask.

Discussions relating to earth energy dowsing in general.
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Where do you start, what do you ask.

Post by DarkChestofWonders »

I'm fairly new to this and wondered what questions people ask when dowsing at ancient sites such as barrows, standing stones, holy wells, hill forts, etc.
Does anyone have a set of questions they go through or follow any structure at all or can recommend any books?
I realise this is a bit of an open ended question, ie what do you want to know? and you may go off on a tangent.
I would just like to get a foot on the bottom rung of the ladder so I can visit a site with a sense of purpose and not turn up wondering "where do I start".
Best Wishes.
Alan
Sometimes things have to be believed to be seen
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Re: Where do you start, what do you ask.

Post by arthur hamlin »

Hello Alan,
Welcome to the Forum Site.
Us Dowsers here have various ways and beliefs about how we go about giving/obtaining values in our discipline.
Many believe we go into another form of consciousness or dimension but would suggest it mainly relates to sensitivity and developing it to obtain the accuracy we wish for the subject we are pursuing. I personally believe its all to do with Telepathy.
I like to think it is like going up to a persons front door and knocking to obtain access. We get let in if our credentials are right and than bathe ourselves in the informational exchange we can have. Others will only be allowed to stay on the doorstep and have a job getting info heard through the door.
Most Dowsers at Ancient sites will I believe ask similar - for permission etc.
I find it helpful to get in touch with the spirit guardian of the place and to get info from the horses mouth so to speak.
Old Churches will very often have a Spirit Guardian who used to be there as a Vicar/Priest or say Church Warden and so loves it that he/she still wishes to be there.
Very often you can dowse to see if their name is on the list of Vicars going back down the years as you enter the church.
Of course your questioning will vary if visiting a barrow or hill fort etc, and perhaps you need to be mindful of the questioning befitting each site.
The BSD has a good library of books etc which you should find access to here somewhere.
I hope that helps.
Cheers.
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Arthur,
Thanks for your reply.

Getting permission from the spirit guardian of the place was covered in the EE1 course I went on, and yes I believe it is absolutely the right thing to do.
Very often you can dowse to see if their name is on the list of Vicars going back down the years as you enter the church

A nice idea something to go on.
If you can appreciate my inexperience, I was just looking for a few guidelines from anyone who has been dowsing these sort of sites for a while to start me off with a few ideas rather than going in blind.

Of course your questioning will vary if visiting a barrow or hill fort etc

What sort of questions would be asked? How old is it, is it a burial chamber for example?
be mindful of the questioning befitting each site
I assume if you think the question would be disrespectful you wouldn't ask it anyway?

I have a few books on dowsing but none covering the above subjects yet, personally I like to look through books to get a feel rather than rely on a small synopsis.

Best Wishes
Alan
EEL
Beginner
Beginner

Post by EEL »

Hi Alan
Because you are posting in the earth energies forum, I'm presuming that you wan't to be dowsing for earth based energy patterns/ lines/ vortexes/ nodal points etc - rather than for archeaological/historical information, or water. You could try with something like "please indicate [L-rods cross] when I cross [walk over] an Earth Energy Line". Keep it simple at first - once you establish WHERE the 'streams' are, you can cross them again, this time asking for information about the nature of them.
There can be a lot 'going on' at these ancient sites- so when I'm dowsing at one for the first time, I tend to first walk some distance from ,and full circle around the feature - identifying main paths of energy that are approaching the perimeter of the site. rather than starting at the centre where it might be confusing [maybe many lines crossing].
Best o'luck - eel.
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Hi eel,
Yes you presume right, I'm in the right forum but I suppose adding archaeological information (and a different set of questions?) etc will build a bigger picture of the site overall.

lines/ vortexes/ nodal points etc
This the sort of question I'm looking to ask and as you say the nature of them,(would you ask detrimental/beneficial, where does it originate from or something else?) .

please indicate [L-rods cross] when I cross [walk over] an Earth Energy Line
This was covered in our foundation course earlier on in the year and I'm fairly confident with this part and know that it works for me.

I tend to first walk some distance from ,and full circle around the feature
Sound advice for avoiding confusion as you say, I just need to get into the practice of remembering to do it or maybe having some sort of procedure to follow when approaching a site. (must get out more :lol: )
Thanks for your help.
Best Wishes,
Alan
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

DarkChestofWonders wrote:I'm fairly new to this and wondered what questions people ask when dowsing at ancient sites such as barrows, standing stones, holy wells, hill forts, etc.
Does anyone have a set of questions they go through or follow any structure at all or can recommend any books?
I realise this is a bit of an open ended question, ie what do you want to know? and you may go off on a tangent.
I would just like to get a foot on the bottom rung of the ladder so I can visit a site with a sense of purpose and not turn up wondering "where do I start".
Best Wishes.
Alan
Hi Alan,

I would personally suggest trying to find a local dowsing group, this may help you to learn new skills as well as feedback, time spent with other dowsers can be valuable. I would also recommend the book " the sun and the serpent" by Hamish Miller and Paul Broadhurst, its a great book to read if you are interested in Earth Energies. Other then that I wish you the best of luck with your dowsing,

Best

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your input, my local group would be http://www.hantsarchaeodowsers.hampshire.org.uk/ (link broken)
and they are quite close so maybe that's a good move.

I've seen the sun and the serpent book on the BSD site (it looks quite interesting) and been in two minds whether to get it or not, you might have just persuaded me.

Best Wishes,
Alan
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I have dowsed for the most part alone in the fields, but agree with the posts here you can learn faster joining a group.Walking a known ancient site can be confusing like Eel says, with so much energy and lines passing every direction.But the more you get out and work/dowse the better and clearer it all becomes Alan,always ask for protection before you start work and keep an open mind no matter what.Ask clear questions with only a yes or no answer to start with,and soon you can start to cut corners, that is get answers between the yes or no, where you need to ask another question to follow the path you are being shown.Its a two way thing dowsing, you work with unknown forces who help, what ever you can see around you,its the tip of the ice burg Alan, much more remains out there hidden from view.
BobD
Novice
Novice

Post by BobD »

One thing that has been very helpful in my dowsing/divination is being VERY specific about the pattern of an energy, what I call its "signature", since they fall into several groups (parallel or singular planes, spirals, vortices, cylinders, etc.) with various numbers of planes, spacings, widths, directionality, day-night variations, and other permutations that make each one unique.

The second thing that really helps me is to be VERY clear and specific about your questions, and to attempt as much as possible to ask questions in a logical order. But at the same time you need to be open to surprises. When working to clear a building for a client I have often been led to an energy that doesn't fit the pattern for which I was searching. It invariably turns out that either diversion/dissipation of this energy is more important or it's something new to me. I've since learned to start by asking for patterns I haven't seen before.

A third thing: No matter how you do your detective work, either from a map, by standing at a point and asking for direction and distance to something (I call that "dowdar" - dowsing direction and range), or by walking around a site, I've found it best to stick to focusing on one pattern, one pathway within that pattern, or even just one aspect of the pattern, such as the central plane within parallel planes. If you really grind down into one feature you avoid confusion and quickly gain confidence.

Bob Dahse
"Develop an infallible technique, then place yourself at the mercy of inspiration." (from a craftsman, but it applies widely)