Pictograms or Geoglphs? - proposed Glossary edit

Discussions relating to earth energy dowsing in general.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Pictograms or Geoglphs? - proposed Glossary edit

Post by Grahame »

I have recently exchanged a couple of emails with Nigel Twinn, Bill Kenny and Billy Gawn about the terminology used in the Glossary of Terms for Geoglyph, Manifestation, and Pictogram.

I recall at the time we were compiling the 3rd edition, I argued against the term 'Geoglyph' as it's a dictionary word referring to human-made patterns such as the Nazca lines etc. as a form of land art, and its use in a dowsing context is confusing. However, the term was used by Colin Bloy to describe a single convoluted pattern of earth energy. Hamish Miller preferred the term 'pictogram' for these (and so do I). Although the etymology of pictogram can be similarly confusing, at its most basic, it means 'a simple drawing that represents something. Pictograms were used as the earliest form of writing.' (Collins English Dictionary). I feel this definition is loose enough to cover most examples of the patterns that are found.

For reference, the current Glossary definitions are:
Geoglyph
A picture, diagram or shape found in the energy field by dowsing. These are formed by a single convoluted line of subtle earth energy (first found by C Bloy and investigated by H Miller who called them pictograms). Some more complicated forms that can be observed are similar to those found in rock art and landscape figures throughout the world and have also been termed ‘archetypal images’ by W. A. Gawn.
See also: Manifestation, Pictogram

Manifestation
A dowsable symmetrical pattern found at a power centre or the crossing (or node) point of two or more significant earth energy lines. Usually produced by conscious interaction with the site. (first mentioned by H Miller).
See also: Geoglyph, Pictogram

Pictogram
A picture, diagram or shape found in the energy field by dowsing. Another term for Geoglyph.
See also: Manifestation
During some recent dowsing experimentation, Nigel has come to the opinion that a Pictogram is not just an earth energy phenomenon (which he roughly defines as energies being affected by solar system dynamics and/or other external influences), but also contains some informational content that reacts to the dowser at the time. I have no problem with this idea, although one could argue that any earth energy has informational content and can be manipulated by intention.
Anyway, it caused me to look over the existing definitions above, and I now think that it's time to expunge 'Geoglyph' as a dowsing term. However, I think it is worth keeping 'manifestation' to refer to the quasi-symmetrical geometric patterns produced by conscious interaction with a node point or power centre that Hamish talked about (see an example in Spirit of the Serpent).

I therefore propose the following modifications to the Glossary:
Geoglyph
A large human-made design or motif on the ground, usually as a form of land art. Examples include the Nazca lines in Peru and the chalk hill figures of southern England. The term was applied by C Bloy to describe pictures or diagrams found in the energy field by dowsing, but this usage is now discouraged in favour of pictogram.

Manifestation
A dowsable quasi-symmetrical, geometric pattern found at a power centre or the crossing (or node) point of two or more significant earth energy lines. Usually produced by conscious interaction with the site (first mentioned by H Miller).
See also: Pictogram

Pictogram
A picture, diagram or shape found in the energy field by dowsing. These are formed by a single convoluted line of subtle energy (first investigated by H Miller), but seem to also have an informational aspect relating to the consciousness of the dowser. Some more complicated forms that can be observed are similar to those found in rock art and landscape figures throughout the world and these have also been termed ‘archetypal images’ by W. A. Gawn.
Thoughts, comments anyone?

Related thread: Pictograms linked with water energies?
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
AliDenham
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter

Re: Pictograms or Geoglphs? - proposed Glossary edit

Post by AliDenham »

Hi. Please bear in mind that I learnt to dowse in October 2017 and I don't claim to have anything like the wisdom and experience of more seasoned dowsers. I'm interested in the Glossary of Terms as, as a novice, I wanted to get things "right" from the beginning, before I developed any habits that would be hard to shift.
I therefore referred to the Glossary quite frequently, to check that I wasn't too wide of the mark.(Or to see if there was a 'mark' at all) I understand that this proposed Glossary edit is about "Geoglyphs". However, may I make a comment about "Manifestations" and "Pictograms"?
My understanding, on top of everything that is said in the Glossary, is that Manifestations are associated with crossing energy lines and Pictograms are not.
I have been dismayed to overhear the word "pictogram" being used, frequently, when really energy lines are present so it's a manifestation. Firstly, I should check that I've understood the distinction correctly. Secondly, and if so, could the Pictogram definition include wording such as, " Unlike Manifestations, Pictograms are not associated with crossing energy lines...."

I realise that this is unlikely to make any practical difference, although we can hope that the print-offs of the Glossary become well-thumbed by earth energy dowsers. However, at least the two terms appear next to each other and their difference is spelled out.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

AliDenham wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:48 pm My understanding, on top of everything that is said in the Glossary, is that Manifestations are associated with crossing energy lines and Pictograms are not.
I have been dismayed to overhear the word "pictogram" being used, frequently, when really energy lines are present so it's a manifestation.
Hi Ali, thanks for taking the time to chip in on this. It doesn't matter that you're not as experienced a dowser, in fact it's probably better as a viewpoint from someone like yourself can often shed light on areas that need clarification.

The distinction, for me, between manifestations and pictograms is not quite as you are describing. Manifestations occur at major energy crossings like nodes of the Michael/Mary currents, and are quasi-geometric shapes, like multi-petalled flowers, stars or similar.
Pictograms are different in that they are more irregular forms, don't have to be on a node point (but still require some energy field), and are often more pictorial in nature; humanoid and animal shapes have been dowsed by some - e.g. the Gog & Magog hill figures that TC Lethbridge found in Cambridgeshire could arguably be classed as pictograms. Does that make it clearer?

But thanks for your input - I'll give some more thought to try and clarify the distinction more.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
AliDenham
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter

Post by AliDenham »

Oh, thanks Grahame. I understand. Maybe I was getting dismayed for nothing then! Thanks for taking on this task. Best wishes, Ali.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

After further discussion with Nigel Twinn, I have made the following changes:
Geoglyph
A large human-made design or motif on the ground, usually as a form of land art. Examples include the Nazca lines in Peru and the chalk hill figures of southern England. The term was originally applied by C Bloy to describe pictures or diagrams found in the energy field by dowsing, but this usage is now discouraged in favour of Pictogram.

Manifestation
A dowsable quasi-symmetrical pattern found at a power centre or the crossing (or node) point of two or more significant earth energy lines (such as the Michael/Mary currents), generally forming a multi-lobed shape like a flower or star. Usually produced by conscious interaction with the site. (first mentioned by H Miller).
See also: Pictogram

Pictogram
A picture, diagram or shape found in the energy field by dowsing. Pictograms are formed by a single convoluted line of subtle energy (first investigated by H Miller), but seem to also have an informational aspect relating to the consciousness of the dowser (reported by N Twinn). They are more irregular than Manifestations, and can be found in a wider variety of locations. Some more complicated forms that can be observed are similar to those found in rock art and landscape figures throughout the world and these have also been termed ‘archetypal images’ by W. A. Gawn.
Hopefully that makes things clearer for everyone.
Grahame
AliDenham
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter

Post by AliDenham »

Thanks Grahame. Today's amendment is a lot clearer to lil ol' me. Ali
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Next up: a replacement term for 'energy' please! :lol:
Grahame