Arbor Low

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.
speightrp

Arbor Low

Post by speightrp »

Hello All,

I have been dowsing for about 3 years and would not consider myself an expert, however I have had some very good, reliable results in the past.

I recently visited Arbour Low in Derbyshire and spent about three hours dowsing outside the circle. I THINK I may have discovered three new stone holes and very possibly the remnants of a round barrow. The locations of the stones sockets are placed across the south east entrance approximately 18 paces from the edge of the henge. Approximately, one either side of the entrance and one in the middle. The barrow is east of the most easterly socket (does that make sense?).

I recorded the locations using google maps on my phone but cannot seem to find a way to get the locations out of the application... the best I could do is take a pic of the screen and send it if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else had dowsed this site and if they had come up with anything similar?

Look forward to hearing from someone soon!
Rob
Rob Speight
Dowser, Organiser of Sacred Landscape Tours, Photographer & Microlight Pilot
http://www.robspeight.com
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: Arbour Low

Post by Ian Pegler »

Hi Rob

Welcome to the forum...

Google Maps is a bit of a pain when it comes to getting the coordinates out, but there are get-arounds, e.g.

1) Right click on the location you want the coordinates for, and select "Directions to here" from the drop-down menu.

2) Eventually two little boxes will appear towards the top of the window, labelled "Start address" and "End Address"

3) The numbers in the "End Address" box represent the latitude and longitude of your location. Note that the second figure is usually negative because it's measuring eastwards. To change it to a West coordinate, remove the minus sign and specify in the application you are copy/pasting it into that this is now a west-coordinate.

For more accurate surveying of dowsed locations read "Dowse Survey and Record" by C. A. Fortlage, which is available from the BSD shop.

I'm sure plenty of dowsers have been to Arbor Low. The front cover of Dowsing Today December 2003 shows a whole group of them there, but I can't find an accompanying article!

This was in the days when Dowsing Today was just 22 pages plus covers. It seems like a long time ago now...

All the best

Ian
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Thanks for that info, Rob. I will be going to Arbor Low this summer with (hopefully) a group of friends and shall take your findings with me.

8)
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Always worth searching here.
An earthwork avenue running south-south-west from the bank of the Arbor Low henge leads most of the way across the field to the Gib Hill barrow, suggesting that the two were perhaps once linked. The grassy mound itself is sometimes known as the ‘serpent’ and may have been constructed at the same time as bank of Arbor Low, although some believe it could be nothing more than a field boundary.
And several photos, too
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
speightrp

Post by speightrp »

Hello All,

Thanks for the responses.

For clarification, when I was using Googlemaps it was on my phone, which unfortunately doesn't seem to have any co-ordinates to extract (although it must do somewhere you just can't access them on the phone!) I have a plan to overlay them onto a map, which I will try to do in the next few days and post.

In terms of 'the serpent' I saw that and tracked it as far as I could, it is quite noticeable. The barrow I think I found is on the other side of the entrance. Anyway, thanks again and look forward to hearing if anyone gets similar results.

Rob
Rob Speight
Dowser, Organiser of Sacred Landscape Tours, Photographer & Microlight Pilot
http://www.robspeight.com
Paul Mellor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Paul Mellor »

In my past life as a telephone engineer Arbour low was on our patch and we spent many a happy dinner 'hour' dowsing around the stones. We only ever dowsed it for energy lines so I cant help on your findings but for many years the East Midlands dowsers had an annual trip and I recall that there were extensive records kept of the findings. In my old office of 8 people 3 of us dowsed ( 2 of us in the BSD ) and we all went separately to Arbour low then dowsed energy lines around the stone circle ,we all drew up our results and then compared them they were all virtually the same. As I have written before many people on BT dowsed just as a tool to find cables and ductwork I had 33 years of dowsing around the Peak district for work such a brilliant job!
Paul Mellor
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

As I have written before many people on BT dowsed just as a tool to find cables and ductwork I had 33 years of dowsing around the Peak district for work such a brilliant job! SO how much did you pay BT to go out every day and dowse about, no wonder I cannot afford to go back to BT :lol:
Paul Mellor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Paul Mellor »

Very good Mike!. Yes the only two things I missed when I left were the trips around the Peaks and the photostat machine.
Paul Mellor
IanDarke

Post by IanDarke »

Jim Andrews led a group from the ADG to Arbor Low last year for a short visit during the weekend in which we had a look at a possible Roman temple in Buxton. The results at Arbor Low were meagre, probably due to the limited time available and the fact that there were a number of other visitors which made concentration difficult. However, I'm sure I remember Jim making mention of the visit in his article about the weekend in a recent DT if anyone's interested.

Ian
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Re: Arbor Low

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Hi Ian,

Having done some considerable work at the Stanton Drew Stone Circles I have found that two energy lines weave in and out (flat curves) but meet at the stones, also that the stones themselves have vertical ‘energy bands’ that change from a clockwise direction to an anti-clockwise direction about every 18 inches. I have found the same bands on tree trunks 100yards away from the circle itself. If a male puts his hands on one of the anti-clockwise bands and with his back straight, at an angle of about 30 degrees to the stone, vand the energy in the stone is activated, he is likely to be projected sideways (to the right of the stone) with considerable force. A female, doing the same thing, is likely to execute a sinuous movement of her body like a snake. The effects can be reversed if the other bands are chosen.

I wonder, with you extensive knowledge, whether you can confirm that you have found similar lines and bands and their effects on people in circles you have visited.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

More on getting Lat/Long coordinates from Google Maps. It's a bit fiddly but probably easier.

1) Zoom in as much as poss.

2) Hover the pointer over the exact spot you want the coords for.

3) Right-click the mouse at this spot. Do this again (but don't double-click).

4) Right-click again but this time hold down the button and select "What's here?" from the pop-up menu.

5) Make sure the green arrow is pointing exactly at the spot you want the coordinates for.

6) The numbers in the search box represent the latitude/longitude.

If the first number is negative that means it's below the equator (i.e. southerly)

If the second number is negative that means it's to the West of the Greenwich line (i.e. Westerly).

This can sometimes save you the bother of wandering off into the distance to get a horizon waypoint (c.f. the Stellarium thread).

Ian
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Thanks, Ian: really helpful.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon