Mellor Hillfort

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.
Paul Mellor
Beginner
Beginner

Mellor Hillfort

Post by Paul Mellor »

As my name sake I have quite an interest in this hillfort and was rather pleased to see an article in British Archaeology Magazine (jan/feb 2010) all about the Mellor excavations. However what was glaringly obviously missing from the article was any reference to dowsing, Ann Hearle the owner has used dowsing alot around the site.Last year we went on a site visit to Mellor Hillfort with the BSD Archaeological group organised by Jim Andrews and had an extremly good days dowsing and got the Manchester University geophys people dowsing.We dowsed and found archaeological features that the University had already dug and found. It just makes you wonder when dowsing will get some mainstream recognition.
Paul Mellor
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Re: Mellor Hillfort

Post by Helen-Healing »

Stuff about Mellor here' (I had to google it, so post this for others.) A bit about Ann Hearle near the end of the webpage.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

I've found two reports on Mellor Hillfort in Dowsing Today by Jim Andrews, namely June 2007 p.14 and December 2007 pp.16-18. Neither of these is online yet.

Gosh I remember that second one because I was the editor of that issue of DT. Jim's article had ten photos, two maps and a drawing, wow a real tour de force. Jim and co. had some major successes there.

Ian
Paul Mellor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Paul Mellor »

Yes it was an amazing day the best demonstration of dowsing was when the sceptical archaeologist asked the 10 or so dowsers to form a line across the field, we set off at his command and then all of a sudden everyones rods crossed , at this point the archaeologist nearly fell over as we had all located an Iron age ditch that he had previously dug.
Paul Mellor
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Paul you all MUST have been doing something right then mate, bet that incident never got in any report,perhaps one day. 8)
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Hi Paul,
The site looks to be for protection alone and not as a Temple site, I cannot dowse any sacred ground in the area of the fort yet, have a look on Google later and come back if I pick up anything, try and date it at the same time, some very interesting things found there, so had to be an active busy place once.

You know when you think about Time Team and these chaps who dig at sites using the ground radar that costs the world, why dont they save their money and ask dowsers to walk the fields first, has to be a saving for all concerned :mrgreen:
Paul Mellor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Paul Mellor »

Hi Mike

Time Team did use a dowser many years ago. I think it was Hamish Miller but they just used the programme to ridicule him and dismiss dowsing in their normal Time Team way.

Mellor hill fort is an extremely busy place both in the past through different eras and also now as it is excavated by Manchester University Archaeology Department and there are open trenches every where. The Mellor Archaeology trust holds an open day normally in September and it is certainly worth a visit. The churchyard next door is also worth a visit as there is virtually no space between graves and it looks very odd. There is also a masonic gravestone near the church entrance with the engraving in Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Edited by I.P. 4.8.10 - corrected several typos, added a bit of spacing
Paul Mellor
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

There is also a masonic gravestone near the church entrance with the engraving in Egyptian hieroglyphics....Paul do you have any pictures of this stone carving, most interesting...