My Local 'WELL'

for matters relating to dowsing for water supplies including wells, boreholes, heat pumps and other services.
Bill Holding

My Local 'WELL'

Post by Bill Holding »

Hi.

I live on a farm which is situated in 60 acres of grass. Ten yards outside our farmhouse is a deep Well.

It is a brick built unit and looks to be pretty deep. It has not been used within the last 22 years during my stay at the house.

I have not yet dowsed this site and do not know if the water is pure. Also are all Well's Primary Water' sites?

Has anyone any information on how I could research this Well.

Many thanks.

Bill
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Doing research on wells

Post by Ian Pegler »

Hi Bill

Not all wells are primary water. If the site is on the slope of a hill or in a valley the water is most likely to be ordinary groundwater. Moreover, even if the water rises up out of the ground under pressure, that pressure can still come from higher ground. This is especially what happens in the case of artesian wells where the "aquifer" or semi-permeable layer bearing the water is sandwiched between two impermeable geological layers (c.f. George Applegate's book on dowsing, or any text-book on hydrology).

As regards doing research on the well, you could try and find out who own's or previously owned the land (or farm?) and contacting them or their descendants. Or you could try a local historian or book by a local historian.

Since you're in the U.K. you can do a bit of research into tithe-maps for the area and see how far back in time you can go. Look out for names of road names etc. which might relate to the well.

Wells rich in iron are sometimes called "chalebeate" wells (pronounced "kal-ee-bee-ate"). So for in my home town we have "Chalebeate Street" which relates to wells that once existed along there.

Above all else, don't be afraid to ask local people, the older the better!

Hope this helps

Ian