Dowsing near rivers or streams for springs

for matters relating to dowsing for water supplies including wells, boreholes, heat pumps and other services.
vivian cockrill

Dowsing near rivers or streams for springs

Post by vivian cockrill »

I am interested in anyone who has experience of dowsing near or close to the river wye. In particular have any of you come across a natural spring,that is close to a River bank.If so how would you be able to distinguish between river water and natural spring water.
I have had some experience of dowsing.I have read that visualising can be used or carrying a sample helps.Any information or further reading you can point me towards would be of great help in my research.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Water good enough for drinking?

Post by Ian Pegler »

Hi Vivian

Depends what you mean by a natural spring. Water-diviners are commonly used for finding good locations for bore-holes, but if you're talking about a "natural spring" then I presume you mean that the water is already breaking through to the surface under its own pressure, in which case why not just taste the stuff and spit it out? Or get a sample analysed by a lab?

Presumably a dowser-driller would be required by law to do the latter anyway, if water from his bore-hole was to be used for human consumption?

Ian
William Holding

Post by William Holding »

Hi Ian.

"Getting a sample tested by a lab" as you say is not as easy as said. Not in my case anyway.

I am undertaking the Home Study Course via Paul Craddock, BSD tutor. to further my knowledge. and I have a sample of 'Well' water that I dowsed but I want to get it tested. What a performance!

Yorkshire Water, York City Council, a professional water analysis company who must refer me to the water board for confirmation, and I still have not found out where I can get a small jar of water tested for human consumption.

Is there a DIY testing Kit?

When I was in the Army we were issued a testing kit (2 tablets). No matter where we were in the world I could sample water and drink it if it proved drinkable.

I am loosing the will to live trying to get this water tested.

Regards

Bill.

:?
griff
Novice
Novice

Simple test for the presence of bacteria in a water sample.

Post by griff »

Hi Bill

Take a clear glass bottle sterilised with 'Milton' as with baby bottles etc. and rinse three times thoroughly with some of the water to be tested, then make sure that the outside of the bottle is dry and the cap has also been rinsed in the same water. Fill the bottle to within 2 inches of the top and add one teaspoon of white granulated sugar, allowing it to sink to the bottom. Do not shake the bottle. Place it on a window sill indoors in a room that is not heated, in full daylight but not in direct sunlight. Leave undisturbed for five to seven days and inspect the bottle at the end of this time.

If the water directly above the sugar shows any milky effect or white filaments can be seen, then the sample is likely to have been colonised by bacteria endemic in the sample, do not drink the water from the source.

In any case even if the sample is subjectively clear it would be advisable to
have the water from the source examined by a water analyst.

This test is not intended to indicate potability, only to help you to decide whether to enquire from your local public analyst the cost of a professional
chemical and biological examination and report.

Regards griff.
William Holding

Post by William Holding »

Hi griff.

Thanks for the advice.

The well in question is about 10 yards from the side of my farmhouse and I would suspect that at one time it would have served the household, cattle etc on the farm many years ago.

However I have just purchased a powerful submersible pump and at the weekend I intend to drain and flush the bottom.

Then I can test a sample as per your comments.

I will let you know the outcome.

Bill. :wink: