Egyptian pyramids found by infra-red satellite images

for Archaeology news reports and discussions.
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Egyptian pyramids found by infra-red satellite images

Post by simonwheeler »

Seventeen lost pyramids are among the buildings identified in a new satellite survey of Egypt.
More than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements were also revealed by looking at infra-red images which show up underground buildings.
From the BBC
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Re: Egyptian pyramids found by infra-red satellite images

Post by Helen-Healing »

The TV programme Egypt's Lost Cities can be seen on BBC One on Monday 30 May at 8.30pm.
Tie a knot in your hankies!
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Dowsing the Tanis site I believe a sacred site like those at Giza exist to the east of the road there, they are very old sites and might have a pyramid under the sand waiting to be found,the web report does not for me hold/show anything of importance, while the other site might be special that shows on Google.

Looking on Google Earth the site dates to 10000 plus and for me is about the same as those three Pyramids at Giza, and it contains artifacts and gold/silver and at least one body, I would have to believe its untouched/robbed in past history...Going to email those in charge to see if they are interested ??
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

I'm interested to see if the new pyramids conform to the 'star map' theory of Graham Hancock.

Speaking of pyramids, here's a New Scientist article on some developments in the so-called 'air shafts'' of the Queens Chamber - the robot probe with the camera has photographed some 'mason's marks' behind the blocking door:
Click Here for article.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I have already looked for the star chart idea for other Pyramids based on the Sirus group of stars, but using the distances of the three at Giza, it does not work out..But if you enlarge the distances from the three Pyramids at Giza to any possible others in that same grouping as the Sirus group then anything is possible, the one I found at Tanis could well be the topmost stars of the group, with perhaps another sacred site and Pyramid to its east ? With others below this Giza grouping of three to include two more to their south, its well worth a dowse on Google allowing more distance and perhaps finding the Sirus grouping in the sands of Eygpt ? Since the people of the time held Sirus as SO important then other sites could well be included, and perhaps they all stand on sacred ground of radial and spiral earth forces coming from their centre ? This would promote the influence of the entire grouping and maybe explain the peoples high regard of the Giza Pyramids, being the centre of the powerful group of sites.

My emails to Dr Parcak have gone unanswered so far, and the BBC web site, perhaps they have no time for dowsers, THEY would not be the first to ignore us right. :mrgreen: Well its their loss, you have a lot of sand at Tanis to go searching over, I dont think they are looking in the right area, but good luck to them anyway. The huts and buildings would explain the number of homes for the workers building a Pyramid, same as they found at Giza where the workers had a town there to provide the needs of the work force....And it means any other Pyramids found might have included a local camp/town to feed/cloth the workers there.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Hi, I found it interesting that the pyramids had a causeway leading to the river. This is a feature which durrington leys and other ancient monuments. The link between death and water perhaps... the program. revealed some good info, although I'm not sure digging up tombs can be justified? This technology could be used in other parts of. the world also I'm sure...
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

ledgehammer wrote:Hi, I found it interesting that the pyramids had a causeway leading to the river. This is a feature which durrington leys and other ancient monuments. The link between death and water perhaps...
I thought the causeways had more to do with the logistics of transporting large blocks of stone from the river to the building sites than any metaphysical connection. :?:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Graham, probably, I am not educated enough to proove, durrington had a wooden structure which wouldn't have needed water to transport? I am not sure, it is a theory that monuments are linked with water between, hinting of a journey along the water... I don't know enough about egyption mythology. It seemed like a coincide, but as you rightly say was used as a physical aid, I am sure you know of this theory linking monuments such as durrington and stonehenge, does it hold water? Sorry :mrgreen: terrible pun...
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

A causeway links Unas’s mortuary temple to his valley temple and must have been very impressive in its time. It was excavated by Selim Hassan in 1937 and is now the best surviving pyramid causeway. It consisted of a covered passageway, 720m long, its interior surfaces decorated with high quality reliefs depicting a range of colourful scenes. The walls were lit by a slit in the roof of the causeway which ran along the whole of its length. The theme of decoration on the causeway walls progresses from the living world in the east to the land of the dead in the west. It depicts scenes such as the transportation of stone from Aswan, hunting scenes (including giraffes, lions and leopards), agriculture, metalworking and battle scenes, as well as royal rituals and vignettes from heb-sed ceremonies. One haunting representation on the lower part of the causeway was thought to be unique for the time, and portrayed impoverished emaciated foreigners (probably Bedu tribes) who were living a life of famine and hardship.
taken from http://egyptsites.wordpress.com/2009/02 ... e-of-unas/ The pharoahs bodies often followed the route of the causeway before resting inside the pyramid. For me the causeway had more significance, why decorate and involve the ceremony of the causeway?
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

And new excavations have revealed traces of a causeway or walkway, leading from Durrington Walls to the Avon, about 30-metres away.
 This, say archaeologist suggests the dead were ritualistically carried from the earthworks to the river, where their remains were deposited.
taken from. http://www.archaeology.ws/2005-9-19.htm I quite like the theory myself. In reference to my original point, I find it interesting that two completely different cultures having never met, shared similar rituals, possibly even saw the water as a spiritual link somehow to passing through. Both cultures had causeways to burial sites, some involved between temples, some to water, this. Causeway a symbol of passing to the next world? I find this most fascinating!
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

ledgehammer: two completely different cultures having never met,
Can you be certain?

And there are many examples of ancient cultures thousands of miles from each other who share myths & legends....classic ones include explanations for the birth of the world and the "great flood".

While I agree that it may be "fascinating" we have to be wary of ascribing meaning and significance where there is none and of interpreting things through our 21st century eyes.

But that doesn't mean you are wrong! (or right, for that matter....)
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Simon, as said in previous post, I am uneducated on such things, and examples and cross examinations are neccessary, but even after this it is mere speculation. What is sure I guess. Is how the ancient cultures revered death and burial. I offer only speculation modestly and hope it sparks interest to provide different perspective. I understand your point in terms of finding ascociation where there is none.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Grahame Gardner wrote:I'm interested to see if the new pyramids conform to the 'star map' theory of Graham Hancock.
found SOMETHING to the south/west of the Tanis site that dowses like another Pyramid, and it JUST could be the design of the Sirus grouping of stars at its top..If others remain below Gaza then we have liftoff Houston !! Im bushed now and will go looking soon,while NOT wishing this to be real, be interesting if the theory turns out to be true ?

Edited by I.P. 3.7.11 - put quote in mark-up
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Had another look at Gaza and the Tanis Pyramid and they almost line up the Tanis site to the two large Pyramids at Gaza, so the idea the star map of Sirus might be found here does not wash for me.And the other site to the east of here is some 102 miles away plus and again does not line up with the Gaza Pyramids since these two (not one site) is so far left of the others at Gaza...Not only that but taking the distances of these sites to anything below Gaza does not work either, since no sacred sites exist at these distances...Its a pity as a map of the Sirus star chart found in Eygpt would shake a few people up, me included... But well worth a look right. 8)

Much more exists at Tanis then has been hinted at I believe, but I have had no contact with those people or the BBC web site I emailed, so they remain in the dark, but its their loss not mine, dont want to say very much at this time...AND thats not me...Dont call me motor mouth for nothing :mrgreen:
Last edited by mike on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

These images were seen on CNN tonight. (Virgin Media page 607) A prog about Egypt & the Middle East.