Dowsing in "Herge's Adventures of Tintin"

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Re: Dowsing in "Herge's Adventures of Tintin"

Post by ledgehammer »

Ian,

just watched the trailer and a guy looking a hell of a lot like Calculus popped up, weird considering he is not in it, although if its based on the original animations this may explain why some charactors look similar :-)

very interesting about the dowsing connection... it does pop up in the strangest places sometimes :-)

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

The movie has apparently won approval in Belgium (link broken), which is a good sign, and there is the promise that Calculus will be included if they get the chancce to do a sequel:
Peter Jackson wrote:Calculus doesn’t yet make his appearance (link broken) in the cinematic version of Tintin. But, obviously if we are lucky enough to do more Tintin movies, there’s a lot of stories that Calculus features in so we absolutely look forward to seeing him hopefully in the future.
There's a great movie still HERE.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

According to the info on AbeBooks, the Victor Mertens book came with a preface by Vicomte Henry de France who was the author of another book called (in English) "The elements of dowsing" - this work was translated into English by a certain A. H. Bell - presumably Colonel A. H. Bell, the founder of the BSD !

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

The film gets its UK release today.

The U.S. site is already up and has yet another trailer

http://www.us.movie.tintin.com/ (link broken)

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from Reuters...
Congo questions Tintin's cultural status ahead of Francophonie

Any Tintin fan would feel at home in the small wooden shed in a back street of Democratic Republic of Congo's capital Kinshasa, where the shelves are crammed with brightly painted statues from the famous Belgian cartoon character's adventures.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

an article from last February in the Guardian...
Peter Jackson to direct second Tintin, says Spielberg

Thundering typhoons! The adventures of Tintin continue as Steven Spielberg confirms Peter Jackson will direct second film in planned trilogy as pair 'made a deal'
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Ian Pegler wrote:I happened to glance at a kiddies' book on Professor Calculus today, whilst I was in the local book shop. ("Calculus" by Michael Farr).

It mentioned that Herge actually acquired a book on dowsing, and even showed a picture of it.

I have not yet found an image of the book on the web, however it was called Radiesthésie, téléradiesthésie et phénomènes hyperphysiques and was written by Victor Merten. It was published by Casterman Tournai-Paris in the 1940's.
The Victor Mertens book has now been re-issued thanks to a French website called http://www.ebookesoterique.com although I bought my copy via Amazon.

Only thing is, it's in French! Parlez-vous Francais? :lol:

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Think I may have found a photograph of Victor Mertens on this Belgian dowsing website.

CLICK HERE and then click on "COMPETITION DOWSING"

Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Good find Ian. An interesting website too! :lol:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

As an aside, I was quite taken with this discovery - I may have to put this on the Christmas list for a laugh:
HERGE, THE ADVENTURS O TINTIN: THE DERK ISLE

translatit intae Scots by Susan Rennie

Tintin an his faithfu dug, Tarrie, are on the trail o an international gang o conterfaiters. Forby, they themsels are bein follaed by the twa glaikit detectives, Nisbet an Nesbit! The trail leads them til the faur-awa north o Scotland, whaur legend tells o an unco craitur, the Hairy Etin, that bides i the ruins o Corbiecraig Castle, on the dreich an oorie Derk Isle. Unfleggit by tales o beasts an bogles, Tintin an Tarrie are makkin til the isle tae see whit’s gaun on ...

"Ay, it's a frichtsome craitur, the Hairy Etin. Whiles at nicht, whan the wind blaws, ye'all can hear the soond o him chappin'. Jings! Whit's that?
Crivvens, whitever next?

http://tintinscots.com/
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

This website has some interesting info on the ancestry of Victor Mertens

http://mertensdewilmars.be/musee_biblio.php

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

The next Hollywood film will be Peter Jackson's version of "Prisoners of the Sun", due for release December 2016.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1037226/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_3

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

There is a relatively new book dealing specifically with the more esoteric aspects of the Adventures of Tintin, called

Tintin et les forces obscures : Reve, voyance, hypnose, radiesthesie, telepathie, extraterrestres, superstitions, societes secretes, folie...

It's in French., only released last year. I don't know if an English translation is available.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Short video about Auguste Piccard here:

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Letter from the artist known as Hergé to the dowser Victor Mertens, as published in Mertens' book Radiesthésie, Téléradiesthésie et Phénomènes Hyperphysique.

(my translation)
Hergé wrote:Dear Mr. Mertens

Thank you for the directions that you have to give me.

But it was, alas, unnecessary to look in places you had marked with a cross on the plan.

Indeed, the red cross indicated, with greater accuracy, the location of a toilet.

In all likelihood the person in question will have, when cleaning, dropped her ring in a bucket; this bucket was, she recalled, near the spot marked by a blue cross by you, and that bucket was emptied into the toilet.

I am in any case very grateful for your willingness to indulge in this work, which, if it failed to meet the covenant, and for good reason, has not least served to reconstruct the crime and to further strengthen my confidence in your methods.

Please accept, Sir, the assurance of my best wishes.

HERGÉ, draftsman.17 Dellen Avenue Boitsfort Brussels.
to which Mertens adds the following note:
Victor Mertens wrote:With no witness for research of this covenant, I made the person who had lost it write "My ring" on a piece of paper: This paper served as a witness for me. Note that I have never seen the person in question, and I do not know the place.