The Curious History of Water Witchers

Media reports relating to water issues in general.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

The Curious History of Water Witchers

Post by Grahame »

A nice little article about some old-school US water dowse R H Young:
Years ago, an older gentleman in our community asked me if I realized how gifted a water witcher, or dowser, my grandfather had been. I did not, assuming many people accomplished such work in those days. Jack told me my grandfather was called to farmsteads all around.

“Several shallow wells had failed for one large farmer, I remember, and he was having trouble finding water,” Jack said. “He somehow located your grandpa, and I went along with him. That day we had just about given up, and the fellow was dejected, re-thinking his whole farm plan if he had to rely on a cistern. Your grandpa just kept walking.”

Jack described watching as my grandfather walked north of the house a long way, not willing to give up. He suddenly let out a whistle, and Jack ran towards him.

“I watched those rods turn in his hands like a helicopter taking flight. It was really something to see, I tell ya!” Jack said, adding that a very happy celebration ensued.

The well was dug and proved a strong water producer, and the owner built a successful dairy farm there.
Full story: HERE
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Re: The Curious History of Water Witchers

Post by mike »

To anyone watching a dowser work must freak them out if they dont dowse, to find underground water must seem like magic to most ordinary folk. Its been the method for countless years to look for water/springs with dowsing, and perhaps in the past when a select few were dowsing it must have been looked on as something bordering the evil and witchcraft. Even today a good friend of many weeks cut me off when he found out I was a dowser, he was a born again Christian and said I worked for the devil there and then and MOVED away from me !! With thoughts and views like that around dowsing has a hard job to become accepted, but we keep up the good work and say little about it, Rome was not built in a day.