Pendulum Calibration

Discuss your favourite dowsing tools and techniques here.
Fresco

Pendulum Calibration

Post by Fresco »

Do you guys find you have to calibrate your pendulum each day???
Sometimes I have to do it twice a day
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Pendulum Calibration

Post by Grahame »

Hi Fresco;

The short answer is no, you shouldn't ever have to recalibrate your pendulum. Once you have established your 'codes' for it, they will always remain the same no matter what pendulum you use, where you are, or what phase of the moon it is. Unless you think otherwise, that is.
This is an example of a 'shibboleth', a term some dowsers use to describe a self-imposed mental limitation, e.g. many dowsers used to think (some may still think) that you can't dowse whilst wearing Wellington boots. If that's what you think, then that's how it will be for you.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

I agree with Grahame. I have never had to 'recalibrate' my pendulum
Practice random acts of kindness
Fresco

Post by Fresco »

Okay thanks, maybe it was all in my head then
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

Fresco, did you ask your pendulum for its movements, or did you program it?
Fresco

Post by Fresco »

Satyr wrote:Fresco, did you ask your pendulum for its movements, or did you program it?
I dont understand what you mean by that. Remember I'm still very new at this

Also, is there any definitive guide online on do's and dont's regarding dowsing??
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Fresco wrote:
Satyr wrote:Fresco, did you ask your pendulum for its movements, or did you program it?
I dont understand what you mean by that. Remember I'm still very new at this
There are two ways you can work with your pendulum - you can 'ask' it to show you the responses for yes and no, or you can forcibly program it by moving it in the directions you want to whilst telling yourself 'this IS my yes, this IS my no' etc.
Also, is there any definitive guide online on do's and dont's regarding dowsing??
'Definitive' is not a word one normally associates with dowsing! :mrgreen:
You could try my own an introduction to dowsing article; or perhaps podcasts would be more your thing? The first few episodes have some dowsing instruction sections.

(mod - links updated 10/18 - GG)
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Fresco

Post by Fresco »

Thanks a lot Graham, I didnt know you could forcefeed the pendulum into 'yes' and 'no' when calibrating. I'll try that.

Also my pendulum doesnt make huge circles when answering yes or no, just small ones.
I'd say circles no larger than 3 centimeters in diameter. Is that normal??
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

Thanks for explaining Grahame :-) Fresco, I think if you program your pendulum then you won't have this problem anymore.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Hi Fresco,

The following may be of help to you.

Programming your Pendulum

In the December (2004) Issue of BSD's 'Dowsing Today', I noted an interesting letter from John Wills Browne who had done some statistical work on 'standard' pendulum responses. As I was engaged, at the time I read this letter, in convincing a couple of potential dowsers in the USA to adopt a different response programming for their pendulums, in order to get more qualitative responses, I thought I might pass on that programming in case others may like to try it. Synchronicity ?

I understand that many in the US have adopted the programming suggested in the 'Letter to Robin' article where responses from sources are illustrated by straight lines, and it is evident that some of John Wills Browne's contributors' pendulums have similarly straight line responses. It is my belief, and also that of others I have 'converted', that in order to obtain a more defined reading from your pendulum it is necessary that the pendulum performs circular (rather than straight) movements for a Yes or a No answer. While I have nothing against 'straight line' programming because it obviously works, I find I can get different qualities of both Yes and No answers by using circular programming in other words, I can get responses like 'Maybe' or 'Maybe not' if my source is not sure of the answer; also 'I cannot answer your question at this time' or a normal 'Yes' or even a 'WOW!' together with the equivalent movement on the negative side. Circular movements can give much more expressive responses and allow your source(s) a little more 'freedom of expression'.

This is how I have programmed my pendulum (a half inch diameter steel/brass nut on a 1½ inch long bit of thread,) to respond to my question:..

When I pick up my pendulum it immediately goes into a straight line North/South 'READY' swing.
(See note 1 below)

When I wish to get in touch with one of my sources there will be a pause of a few seconds before
my pendulum starts to swing in a circular 'YES' movement with the pendulum being almost horizontal, indicating that a connection has been made. (I have found that, at in this particular stage, I am connecting with the high energy of an external source).

If the answer to one of my questions is a normal YES, the pendulum will circle at an angle of 45 degrees between vertical and horizontal.

If the answer is 'WOW!' or 'DEFINITELY SO', the pendulum will circle as near as it can get to the horizontal. At times it has even rotated vertically like a propeller.

The answers of normal 'NO and 'DEFINITELY NOT' are the equivalent angles but with the pendulum revolving in the opposite direction. It doesn't matter which way the pendulum goes for a YES or a NO answer as long as they are in opposite directions and it follows a circular path.

There is one other circular motion - when the pendulum rotates with a diameter of between one and one and a half inches in a YES direction . This can mean one of two things when you are asking questions about certain things. First that the source you want to connect with is busy and cannot attend to you at that moment, (get back to in five minutes sort of thing); secondly, that you are not connecting with the source that you want to connect with - interference, in fact. You have to dowse which is which.

MAYBE or MAYBE NOT (where doubt exists, on the part of your source, as to the possible accuracy of the answer) can be obtained by using elliptical (egg shaped) movements in either positive or negative directions.

Note 1 : If your pendulum continues to move in the 'READY' position for some time and you are getting no response, you can dowse which of the following applies -

"Is it because the answer is not known ?" or
"Is it because the question is not understood ?" or
"Is it because the question is too complicated ?" or
"Is it because should the question be re-phrased ?" or
"Is it because I am not allowed to know this information ?"

You should get an answer to one of those questions.

Finally, I have found that we obtain information either from an internal (sub-conscious/higher self) source, or an external source (whatever we may believe that source to be) depending on the nature and subject of the questions. When you have programmed your pendulum to follow whatever response procedure you wish to adopt, your pendulum will respond in the same way to all sources. I must admit that when I get a 'WOW!' response, the pendulum movement is so strong that it threatens to take my arm off !

Geoff Stuttaford
10 Dec 04
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Geoff had posted a new thread on 'programming your pendulum', which was a repost of his earlier post (above) from 10 years ago (!). Your over-zealous administrator has deleted it to avoid duplication of topics. :mrgreen:

But it's worth bumping this discussion as I'm sure it is helpful to newcomers. I agree with Geoff that the best way to program your pendulum is to have it circle for yes and no. It's just more versatile and allows for more responses.
Many American dowsers have learned from the Letter to Robin course by Walt Woods, which promotes straight line responses of back-and-forth for yes, side-to-side for no. But unless you are going to rely on using charts, this approach is rather limiting.

Incidentally, I personally find the charts offered in Letter to Robin rather too elaborate. Charts have their uses, but they can be confusing for novice dowsers, particularly if they have programmed circular responses. See the thread on Pendulum Charts for more details.
Grahame
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Incidentally, Grahame, that post was reproduced in the magazine produced by the US equivalent of the BSD. They sent me a copy of their magazine. I got the impression they were not all that happy about the info in”Letter to Robin”.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I tried the pendulum a while ago and reverted back to the short L rod, then later still open hand dowsing, but that’s a problem at times with my fingers getting arthritis in them, and they close and won’t open.
Both with any L rod and pendulum you need a part yes or no, when your answer is between yes and no, the device gets half way between and stays there, leaving you wondering if it’s more yes than no.
I work with system where if the answer is between I then ask another question more yes or more no, this way it’s a two way question an answer and you soon get to the truth, fingers crossed. :mrgreen:
I tried open hand dowsing since my crop circle days, but it’s only in the last year I have managed it, and dowsing with sight alone is coming along nice, here you look for the influence and plot it on Google Earth, then confirm it with the L rod or open hand or both.
However what method you use it’s an exciting learning curve, and I enjoy every minute, it remains for me a fun thing, even after all these years. Something new is always just around the corner for me, I think this is never going to work, then I try it and it does work, it’s the best fun you can have with your clothes on. :D