INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Post by Grahame »

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum.
You've picked some interesting books to study there!

Congrats on locating that well - that thrill of finding something with your dowsing rods never gets old.

Lethbridge's 'long pendulum' method is an interesting technique, but can be rather unwieldy in practice. Not many people use that method nowadays.

Mermet's book is a classic historical book that everyone should read (note to self!).

I also quite like the Wheatley one, his daughter Maria is a well-known dowser today and runs online courses; she also runs tours of Avebury.

If you're in Yorkshire, you should definitely join Ridings Dowsers - they're a very friendly bunch. And naturally, you should also join the BSD, it's the best way to keep up to date with what's happening in the UK. And why not consider coming to the Spring Symposium in Malvern on 4-5 May? You'll meet lots of experienced dowsers (including me!)
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
ReSwoD

Post by ReSwoD »

Hello Grahame,
Thank you for your reply.

I've contacted ted the Ridings Dowsers to join that group. Their base is a bit of a dog-leg journey from where I live, but it certainly will be possible to attend some of their site events.

I agree about Lethbridge's long pendulum, but given what I wanted to explore, it was necessary I used one. I fashioned a "windlass" (as he called it) out of square sectioned beading, chiseling out the central section slightly to round it out for the cord to unwind smoothly. The square ends of the windlass make for an easier and smoother to wind out the bob.

Mermet's book was available to view and download as a pdf on Google Books, but mysteriously became unavailable after I posted a link on the Lincolnshire Dowsing Facebook group. I trust you can find it here http://iapsop.com/ssoc/1935__mermet___p ... thesia.pdf in English translation. I would strongly recommend it. There are quite astonishing narratives as well as advice and cautions. There are similarities with Lethbridge.

Yes, I was in touch with Maria to buy her father's book.

In the next few days, I'll post my experiences with the several pieces of red granite that I've collected over the years. It might be useful to include photographs - is that possible witin the forum posts? I'm slightly undecided which is the most appropriate topic area!

Best regards,
Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

ReSwoD wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm It might be useful to include photographs - is that possible within the forum posts? I'm slightly undecided which is the most appropriate topic area!
Unfortunately we don't allow hosting of pictures on the forum, only user avatars - for larger pictures you would need to host them elsewhere then link to it here. There's a tutorial on that in the 'Forum Matters' section.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.