St.Edmunds Memorial Chapel

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.
chris

St.Edmunds Memorial Chapel

Post by chris »

Hi,
Have just returned from a long weekend in Norfolk, we visited Huntstanton, on the sea edge we came across a old ruined chapel, dated from 13th century, it was built in remembrance of a young King, King Edmund who lived 855 - 870 AD. He was killed by the invading Danes, and became a matyr.
when I place my hands on the stones of the ruin I was shown horizontal layers of wood across the building, and above, the brickwork forming an open cross so you could see the sky through it.
Has anyone dowsed this ruined Chapel and know what it looked like when it was built??

many thanks Chris A
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Re: St.Edmunds Memorial Chapel

Post by arthur hamlin »

Hi Chris,
I was interested to hear of your find and although I have been to Hunstanton several times did not realise there was an old ruined chapel on the beach.
Just out of interest on dowsing from a distance I`m told that the first structure for christian worship was established there in about 325 AD. Built on the same site as the present structure it was made of wood with no tower and no energy lines passing through it, but other energies are present.
I`m told the font was initially made of chalk and that approx 40 people attended services on the sabbath. It lasted for approx 15 years when it was finally blown down by storms.
I`m told there was another structure before the present one and large gaps when there was no structure at all.
I`m getting that the present structure dates from approx 950 AD and connects with King Edmund but has been modified down the years with materials saved and used from the previous structure.
Bonfires were lit to summon people to church - a system used before sun dials.
I`m told the present structure could accomodate approx 60 people.
Just wondering if you found anything else which you have not mentioned?
Arthur
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Arthur,
Thankyou for your response, I,ve got a good photo of it but don't know where to send it. You can see the wall going around the outside of the Chapel, I did not dowse it properly, but just put my hands on it for a minute, and it showed me the pictures of the structure, as you say it could be from a previous time, the chapel is very near to the lighthouse.

many thanks, Chris.
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

Hi Chris,
Thanks. I know some dowsers/sensitives need a sample of some description to pick up the vibes like the picture you mention.
Now, it is possible other dowsers could be picking up different responses to me and it is always interesting to know of their responses and what system etc they use.
I find it interesting to hear that your hands are instrumental when placed on a stone to receive info of this building, and wonder if you can do this with other things? I know it has a name to it.
You do not say whether the ruin is in the water or high and dry up the beach.
Dunwich, a small village further down the coast has suffered much erosion over the years.
A museum there has collated much information about the land mass now devoured by the sea.
They have a model of the villages/houses and churches roads etc that once existed and if you go to the beach at high tide you can see why.
I personally make a point of contacting the spirit guardian of the area first and than go from there.
I believe that Christianity took off like wild fire in this country after Jesus`s visit with Joseph to Glastonbury, but became buried/supressed under the Roman occupation.
I find that the round tower churches existing in East anglia today had others of prior construction on the same site going back to approx AD 20.
Arthur
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Arthur,
Thankyou for coming back, The Chapel is on a wide long stretch of grass above the beech, I have a photo of it. I think because I trained as a crystal healer, I tune into rocks and stones, also trees, they show you what they have seen over the years, sometimes information comes so fast I cannot take it all in, but it's very interesting, I sometimes think my Husband thinks I'm a bit strange!

best wishes, Chris
Paul Collett

Post by Paul Collett »

Hi All,
A notice at the site states that the chapel was built in AD 1272. I dowsed on the site two years ago but confined my efforts to locating the position of the altar and font. If you look on Google maps you can clearly see the site of the ruin. It is SW of the junction of King's Road with Cliff Parade and almost due South of the lighthouse .
Best regards
Paul
Paul Collett