Antique Pendulum

Discuss your favourite dowsing tools and techniques here.
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Antique Pendulum

Post by Lizard »

I'm looking for information on this pendulum.
It is made of wood, oak I think - has two metal caps top and bottom - three short rods for locating gold, silver or water that screw onto the bottom - dates to approximately 1900 to 1920's - there is no writing or markings of any kind that I can find.

Any help in identifying this item would be appreciated.

*** The Village Idiot ***
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Re: Antique Pendulum

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Hi Lizard,

Interesting looking pendulum. Although I'm unable to comment on its origin it would seem to be rather restricted in its use if all its owner can dowse for is gold or silver or water. Those short cylinders would probably be called ''witnesses' that would make the dowsers task easier to find those particular substances. Makes me wonder whether we have moved on metaphysically with our dowsing, about 100 years after the dates you gave, because nowadays many of us do not need witnesses to find anything.
I use a 1/2 inch hexagonal steel nut on a piece of linen thread.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Bonnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Bonnie »

As Geoff says, that's a very interesting-looking pendulum. I have never seen one exactly like it before. I think Geoff's remarks about approaches to dowsing, then and now, are quite relevant - and we might, indeed, be seeing those differences reflected in the design of this antique bob. I'm sure you could use it for any dowsing purpose, minus its attachments. Thank you for posting the picture, I love to see the many kinds of dowsing devices, especially older pieces like this one.
Paul Mellor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Paul Mellor »

There was a description of a pendulum very similar to this on treasurenet.com the other day is this the same one or just a coincidence?
Paul Mellor
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Hi Geoff
Thanks for the post. I know absolutely nothing about dowsing but this pendulum has my curiosity up now and I would like to try my hand at it in the near future. Once I learn some of the fundamentals of the art I plan on taking it along with the metal detector and see if I might have a talent for it.

From your post it sounds like the "tool" is more of a prop used to focus the "talent" the dowser possesses rather than the "tool" having any talent of it's own. I know I'm really showing my ignorance on the subject but it's a first step.

For now I would just like to find some history on this thing.
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Bonnie wrote:As Geoff says, that's a very interesting-looking pendulum. I have never seen one exactly like it before. I think Geoff's remarks about approaches to dowsing, then and now, are quite relevant - and we might, indeed, be seeing those differences reflected in the design of this antique bob. I'm sure you could use it for any dowsing purpose, minus its attachments. Thank you for posting the picture, I love to see the many kinds of dowsing devices, especially older pieces like this one.
Hi Bonnie
This is the first dowsing relic I have found and am baffled by it. But then It may have found me instead of the other way around. I would like to learn more of dowsing and see where it leads. For now I would be happy just knowing exactly what it is i have here. I'll be lurking around here so maybe some of you can teach an old country boy some new tricks.
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Paul Mellor wrote:There was a description of a pendulum very similar to this on treasurenet.com the other day is this the same one or just a coincidence?
Hi Paul
It's probably one and the same. I have the same picture posted on Treasure Net asking for information.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Hi Lizard,

I can see no reason why you should not use this antique pendulum to dowse with although you may find it a little unwieldy and somewhat slow to react.

I think you are perfectly correct in regading the pendulum as a tool. There are many tools that can be used for dowsing and there is even a considerable amount of info on what is referred to as 'tool-less' dowsing.

There are several possible explanations as to why a pendulum works but I think it is generrally agreed that the pendulum, and other dowsing tools, work via a persons nervous system. Problem starts when people have their own ideas as to what source induces the nervous system to act in the way it does,
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Paul Mellor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Paul Mellor »

I noticed that one or two of the other metal detectorists on treasurenet state dowsing rods under their lists of equipment. Its nice that there are both ends of the spectrum in equipment is being used to locate all manner of things.
Paul Mellor
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Geoff Stuttaford wrote:Hi Lizard,

I can see no reason why you should not use this antique pendulum to dowse with although you may find it a little unwieldy and somewhat slow to react.

I think you are perfectly correct in regading the pendulum as a tool. There are many tools that can be used for dowsing and there is even a considerable amount of info on what is referred to as 'tool-less' dowsing.

There are several possible explanations as to why a pendulum works but I think it is generrally agreed that the pendulum, and other dowsing tools, work via a persons nervous system. Problem starts when people have their own ideas as to what source induces the nervous system to act in the way it does,
I see this is going to be a very long road I've started down. LOL Guess It's time to find a book and do some serious reading.
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Paul Mellor wrote:I noticed that one or two of the other metal detectorists on treasurenet state dowsing rods under their lists of equipment. Its nice that there are both ends of the spectrum in equipment is being used to locate all manner of things.
Yes, I have talked with a few of them. To be honest, I have never really given dowsing much thought until I found the pendulum and now I seem to be hooked. If I have a talent for dowsing I will certainly use it along with my detector.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Hi Lizard,
"I have never really given dowsing much thought until I found the pendulum and now I seem to be hooked. If I have a talent for dowsing I will certainly use it along with my detector"
If you dowse for buried objects there is one aspect to may like to consider and that is Remanence -

REMANENCE (DERIVED FROM THE WORD ‘REMAINS’)

If you take any small item, such as a bunch of keys, and drop those keys onto a table then a chair, then a window sill, onto a TV, a shelf, the floor (anywhere in a room) for a period of about 5 seconds at each location, a dowser should be able to find the locations where you have put those keys by using L-rods even if those keys are now back in your pocket or purse.

Firstly, a dowser using one rod, would ask it to guide him/her to a place where the keys ‘ are ‘, and to swing across his/her body when it gets to within 12 inches (250 mm) of that location. If the dowser then picks up his/her second rod and ask the rods to cross over at the point where the object ‘is’, the rods will do so, even if the object is not there now. Using this technique a dowser should be able to trace all the places where you placed the keys, so what exactly is happening here ?

First of all, lets deal with the time anomaly. The dowser has asked where the object IS but has found the places where it WAS. Dowsing does not deal with time as a measurement unless a dowser specifically asks that is does, so there is no difference between present or past as far as dowsing is concerned in this particular example.

Secondly, why do the L-rods pick up places where the keys are/were? There exists a mechanism that enables an object to register its presence at a location by means of the energy that the object emits in the form of what are basically electromagnetic particles. It is the form that these particles take (in our case they replicate a bunch of keys) that our L-rods pick up and this phenomenon is known as Remanence.

You can therefor use map dowsing to determine where a metal object might be and then check the location with a metal detectorto confirm whether the object is there or not.
Geoff

Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Afternoon Geoff,

Interesting things to think on for sure.

This is the way I see the universe ... Everything vibrates, and everything vibrates at it's own resonate frequency. Never done this, but just suppose I hold a piece of gold in my hand and identify and remember its resonate frequency. After learning golds frequency I should be able to recognize it out in the world if I should wander close enough to it and follow it to it's source.
Is this close to the electromagnetic energy particles you spoke of?

I'm not clear on whether I'm the one picking up on the "energy" or if it's the rods. If the rods are doing the work, my mind set shouldn't matter as long as I can interrupt and understand what the rods are saying?

The map dowsing sounds very promising for what I do. It would be very helpful since most of the places I hunt is dense wood and brush.
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

Hi Lizard,
I`m just going to put a soft spanner in the works because as a builder it appears you have what is known as a plumb bob. These preceeded spirit levels as we know them today.
It looks a little heavy for pendulum work but am wondering why there are two extra pieces of metal shown, presumably to screw on the end of the bob to vary the weight. Pendulums normally have a pointed end to aid the location of what one is seeking when map dowsing for instance.
It also appears the thin wooden truncheon shape above is unscrewable and to me does not resemble a dowsing tool that I have seen before. I am more inclined to believe this is another plumb bob and because it looks as if it can be split in two would go into a small carry bag with the other tool.
I regret that I cannot agree with Geoff`s description of remnance.
The remnance that I know of is a spiritual one and will have a resonance or vibration that can be dowsed even though it has been on that spot for just a second before moving elewhere.
Also there is an intelligence at work. Pendulums or dowsing rods do not have that but simply help concentrate the mind to what you are seeking.
Arthur
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Hi Arthur and thanks for the post.

I`m just going to put a soft spanner in the works because as a builder it appears you have what is known as a plumb bob. These preceeded spirit levels as we know them today.

We have explored the plumb bob idea and didn't come to any definite conclusions. The biggest problem is a plumb bob would have no need of the stick/wand that it is attached to. Also the size of the bob would create problems with the wind or a slight breeze moving it around. All the pictures we have found of plumb bobs dated to the early 1900's are made of brass or steel and closely resemble modern ones.

It looks a little heavy for pendulum work but am wondering why there are two extra pieces of metal shown, presumably to screw on the end of the bob to vary the weight. Pendulums normally have a pointed end to aid the location of what one is seeking when map dowsing for instance.

The three short rods do screw onto the bottom of the bob and it is my understanding that, somehow, they help the dowser to locate different objects. In this case one is for silver, one is for gold, and the last is for water. I was told this by an elderly man, who claims to be familiar with them, that at the time gold, silver and water were the most often items dowsed for. There is no writing or marking on them or the bob so I have no way of verifying this.

It also appears the thin wooden truncheon shape above is unscrewable and to me does not resemble a dowsing tool that I have seen before. I am more inclined to believe this is another plumb bob and because it looks as if it can be split in two would go into a small carry bag with the other tool.

The stick/wand does break down into two pieces. The union is a simple dowel and socket arrangement that easily pulls apart. The black string like substance that attaches the two is elastic. I do agree with you that the purpose of this is to allow it to be transported more easily.

I regret that I cannot agree with Geoff`s description of remnance.
The remnance that I know of is a spiritual one and will have a resonance or vibration that can be dowsed even though it has been on that spot for just a second before moving elewhere.
Also there is an intelligence at work. Pendulums or dowsing rods do not have that but simply help concentrate the mind to what you are seeking.

I'm afraid that I am totally ignorant of dowsing and can not comment one way or the other on the mechanics of this fascinating subject.

All the pieces pictured were found together in a pasteboard box. The box was in very poor condition but I am, almost, sure that they all go together as a unit. With what little, verifiable, information I have on the subject I do not think that it is a common plumb bob. But then I don't know for sure that it is a dowsing tool either.

Thanks for your input and I hope to speak with you later.