Sciatica relief

For matters relating to dowsing for health and wellbeing
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Sciatica relief

Post by ledgehammer »

Hi,

I have just been diagnosed with sciatica, has anyone got any tips or advice for pain reduction please?

thanks
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Re: Sciatica relief

Post by Helen-Healing »

Stretching exercises for the spine are good for this. Also making sure your posture is correct - that your head, neck & body are in the right connection to each other (see if you can find an Alexander Technique practitioner to help you with this.)

One very good thing to do for all back, legs, knees & foot problems is, after you've been sitting for a while & then get up, just stand with feet slightly apart & knees bent and 'bob' gently up & down a few times, thus aligning your body; you can swing your arms back & forth at the same time, if you wish. It's amazingly effective - believe me, I know...I've cured my own probs with this action! 8)
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Helen, I will try! Many thanks...good wishes to you. Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

A physio taught me this one, and it's the best exercise I've come across for lower back pain:

Lie on your back, put a hand on each knee, and with your ankles crossed pull your knees up to your chest as far as you can and hold for 10 seconds.
Relax briefly, repeat. Do this 6 times.
Next, put your hands on the floor by your side and, keeping your ankles crossed and your legs up, rock them from side to side for a count of 60.

The whole sequence only takes a couple of minutes to do - do that twice a day.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Graham, great stuff!... many thanks...
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

I think what Grahame is describing is a couple of Pilates exercises...and Pilates is very good for back problems. Certainly helped ease mine. Up here in Scotland I got free physio and Pilates class followed by several weeks free classes & subscription at the local gym on the NHS after a visit to my GP. EXcellent!
I'd also recommend a good traditional acupuncturist for sciatica. If you can find one near where you live! Make sure they are registered with the appropriate professional body....Google it?
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Simon, thanks. I have had accupuncture before and it worked well, not cheap though! I wasn't sure it would be much help as sciatica is a nerve in the lower back causing discomfort lower down, but I guess there is still pressure to work with. I shall look into, many thanks for advice.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Okay I know you may laugh, but suffering from all the above and a groin strain to boot I found the bar of soap by the bed at night works wonders for me, I dont get the pains or cramp I used to suffer from odd times, only trouble is the pains return during the daytime while Im up and about, AND to be honest I am thinking of putting a bar of soap in a sock and keeping it in my pocket all day long....Come back if it makes any difference folks daytime, try anything once to stop the pains. :lol: I would try those exercises, but I cannot raise my left leg high at all. :cry: