Royston Cave

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.
Merlin
Beginner
Beginner

Royston Cave

Post by Merlin »

Finally got to visit Royston Cave in Hertfordshire, despite being a local attraction its not very well advertised in the district.
Cost to get in is £3 and you get a guided tour lasting about 40 minutes.

The Cave is on a crossing point of the Michael and Mary Line and is a bell shape dug into chalk, originally the old entrance was in some kind of building long since gone but now that and is under a road.

The cave has lots carvings of a religious nature and a strong connection to the Knights Templar although this can't be proven (there are Templar carvings on the wall) but other carvings and a coffin pit have been identified as possibly being something to do with Freemasonry. The Cave was re-discovered in the 1700's nobody knew it was there which was lucky as it would have been possibly been destroyed by Cromwell if he had known about it.

Overall my feeling is the carvings were done when the KT were abolished in England and may have been driven underground hence the cave although there is mention of a Hermitage at the crossroads (Ermine Street & The Icknield Way).

The actually cave itself jogged my memory from a long time ago and I'm wondering if its actually Stone Age/Neolithic flint mining.

The guide mentioned nothing about dowsing till I asked to which he confirmed that dowsers had been down, and found the crossing point in the western part of the Octagonal platform that is now there on the floor, he also said one dowser had managed to place crystals on the floor (not sure which ones) and these had moved by themselves.

He also mentioned that one person had said he could see the energy lines coming in and crossing, and also there was a third one which went straight up and into space.

There is a Cave Shop on the surface where you purchase your ticket, and has a nice selection of crystals, didn't see any dowsing rods or crystal pendants, but there were a few books including the Sun and the Serpent for sale.

Probably will make a visit again next year, believe next weekend is the last weekend it will be open this year as its prone to flooding.

http://www.roystoncave.co.uk/

Does anyone know what the circle (I'm assuming its stones) is to the East between Royston and Bury St Edmunds? its on the northern energy line (I think).
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Re: Royston Cave

Post by ledgehammer »

Merlin,

Interesting post,

the cave only opens for part of the day as it is run by volunteers.

There is a lot of theory with the carvings, and I agree in part, I was told that King James spent a lot of time at a hunting lodge nearby, and being a Freemason would have perhaps spent time at the meeting place. The carvings depict Christian and Pagan symbols which would suggest a form of freemasonry e.t.c

When we visited I had not learned the art of dowsing but I remember reading that there was a star shaped platform which is no longer there, higher than the initial platform and the node was there (I may well be wrong)

The circle you speak of, I am not aware of and I dont think this is anything Hamish Dowsed, also Im pretty sure there are no stone circles in that part of the country, can you be more specific?

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

The photo of the Royston Cave holds something like Sacred ground there near the door position, I dowse this active site to 650 years ago, AND perhaps more interesting is another 650 year old site to the north of here close to Burns Road that has tunnels under the road there I believe, nothing evil here, just powerful and inviting, a must place to visit me thinks.

The tunnel is 12 feet down, and its NOT services honest at Burns Road north. :mrgreen:

Just a quick look but east of Royston near the B184 I dowse an old stone circle near the trees and a Tumulus/Barrow to the same sort of date of 4100 years old above it, other round shapes in the area I dont rate.Come back when the sand man has gone friends,my eyes are dropping out now. :lol:
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

The Earth Energies Group visited Royston some time ago (2005 or 2006?) and we had a private tour of the cave. That may be the group of dowsers the guide was referring to. I certainly remember dowsing the Michael and Mary currents and their node in the cave.
We also found that the Michael current made a diversion to go and flow through the Royse Stone, which has been moved from its original position when the road was widened to accommodate modern traffic requirements. Here's a picture from the archive of Sig Lonegren, Peter Quiller, and Sandy MacKenzie dowsing around the Royse Stone:

The entrance to the cave is down a little alleyway behind the blue car in the background.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Merlin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Merlin »

ledgehammer wrote:Merlin,

The circle you speak of, I am not aware of and I dont think this is anything Hamish Dowsed, also Im pretty sure there are no stone circles in that part of the country, can you be more specific?

Tom
I only noticed it when was having a quick look through a copy of the sun and the serpent, on one of the maps, perhaps its not a stone circle as its name is ends in Ring I will know later as I'm picking up a copy of the book from the library.
Merlin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Merlin »

mike wrote:The photo of the Royston Cave holds something like Sacred ground there near the door position, I dowse this active site to 650 years ago, AND perhaps more interesting is another 650 year old site to the north of here close to Burns Road that has tunnels under the road there I believe, nothing evil here, just powerful and inviting, a must place to visit me thinks.

The tunnel is 12 feet down, and its NOT services honest at Burns Road north. :mrgreen:

Just a quick look but east of Royston near the B184 I dowse an old stone circle near the trees and a Tumulus/Barrow to the same sort of date of 4100 years old above it, other round shapes in the area I dont rate.Come back when the sand man has gone friends,my eyes are dropping out now. :lol:
Burns Road is a long estate road :) they did mention on Sunday that they knew of another bell shaped cavern a few under a pedestrian crossing east of the cave but there would be no way of accessing it whilst Melbourn Street was open plus its believed to be flooded.

As to the B184 you got me there lol couldn't find it at first, the present B184 runs south of the Chesterford which is about 10 to 15 miles east of Royston, just north of here is Ickleton (another village that gets its name from the Icknield Way) looking on an OS map there is a Tumulus/Barrow at Valance Farm?
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Ahhh, wandlebury rings, near Cambridge, I know it well! It is an iron age hillfort, look. Out for the tree cancers around the site. And if its a clear day you can see ely cathedral from the woods behind. Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Merlin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Merlin »

ledgehammer wrote:Ahhh, wandlebury rings, near Cambridge, I know it well! It is an iron age hillfort, look. Out for the tree cancers around the site. And if its a clear day you can see ely cathedral from the woods behind. Tom
I was looking at Ely Cathedral from Barkway Hill which is further away on Sunday when I was messing about with Amateur Radio (another hobby) :)

It was Wandlebury that I was thinking of actually been reading about the The Wandlebury Enigma & the Loxodrome Alignment (you start one thing and something else equally intriguing pops into view).

Managed to pick up the Sun & the Serpent today and think I will enjoy that, just wish it had better quality maps.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Merlin,

I am pretty sure there was other energy lines passing through at wandlebury, again I had only picked up the art since moving so could not confirm.

The Cathedral is pretty impressive, the lantern is spectacular especially if you go inside, a remarkable feat of engineering.

The sun and the serpent is a good book, it does have mini maps detailing the energy interactions which is useful, but ordinance survey maps are essential for tracking the lines....

Happy hunting

Best wishes

Tom
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Back again like a bad penny,well one pence if you are moaning. :lol: The stone circle I looked for east of Royston I found last night was at Google co-ord 52 03 29 14 N 0 13 59 79 E and its on Walden Road and the B184 to its left, the trees cross the road there, and the stone circle sits right on the road/fields there..Above it is a very old Tumulus, and around are circles of trees, BUT they contain no earth force, I think the village to its right is Little or Great Chesterford ?? I looked just now and at Ickleton very close to this place just some 2.73 miles apart is I believe another circle of stones, on the east of the M11 at the Google co-ord position 52 04 14 51 N 0 10 05 69 E, you can see a crop mark where it is, made up of 13 stones now gone/buried..I dowsed for stone circles east of Royston and got these two, with this Ickleton circle dating to I believe 2040 years old, not as old as the other one lower down....The Royston Bell is for me a place of learning where earth forces are strong even today, to spend time there you would wander the Universe at will without drugs or anything to induce this travel, or question and answer with spirits of good nature, and be as one with nature.Its not an ancient Sacred Site as much as a place of learning, where those of good heart and mind can find what they seek....A place to visit before my toes curl up and its not that far that I could manage the visit,if the spirits are with me that day 8) And I dont mean Scotish Spirits Naughty Boy. :mrgreen: Stand in the corner

Valance Farm is just below the position where I picked up the stone circle Merlin, BUT I cannot pick up the Tumulus at or around the farm, have a cup of tea and look again later, busy day again and the eyes are playing up, its old age, well thats my excuse.

Police Helicopter right above my head, cannot dowse any aliens/craft, so what going on ?? My car is taxed, making a hell of a noise.

The road is Little Chesterford to Chesterford Park, where the trees cross the road south to north Merlin/Tom, thats one circle, and found an old crop circle OS map with the Valance Farm and Mound, but nothing picked up on Google yet ?
Last edited by mike on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Merlin wrote:Managed to pick up the Sun & the Serpent today and think I will enjoy that, just wish it had better quality maps.
You can still order complete sets of OS maps for the Michael Line from Penwith Press.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Coincidentally, I went to Royston recently, specially to visit the cave. However we just missed one 'entry' (only 18 people are allowed in at a time) & had to wait 40 minutes for the next one. And we didn't get into that as we were nos 19 & 20! :roll: By this time my friend, who is almost 80, was getting knackered, so we left it for another day.
Royston is a very quaint place, sort of stuck in time! I was interested in all the info here on this thread, and will definitely take my rods etc the next time I go.
Merlin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Merlin »

Grahame Gardner wrote:You can still order complete sets of OS maps for the Michael Line from Penwith Press.
I winced when I saw the £40 price tag lol but pleased that you can buy individual sections which will suit me fine :)
mike wrote:Back again like a bad penny,well one pence if you are moaning. :lol: The stone circle I looked for east of Royston I found last night was at Google co-ord 52 03 29 14 N 0 13 59 79 E and its on Walden Road and the B184 to its left, the trees cross the road there, and the stone circle sits right on the road/fields there..Above it is a very old Tumulus, and around are circles of trees, BUT they contain no earth force, I think the village to its right is Little or Great Chesterford ?? I looked just now and at Ickleton very close to this place just some 2.73 miles apart is I believe another circle of stones, on the east of the M11 at the Google co-ord position 52 04 14 51 N 0 10 05 69 E, you can see a crop mark where it is, made up of 13 stones now gone/buried..I dowsed for stone circles east of Royston and got these two, with this Ickleton circle dating to I believe 2040 years old, not as old as the other one lower down....The Royston Bell is for me a place of learning where earth forces are strong even today, to spend time there you would wander the Universe at will without drugs or anything to induce this travel, or question and answer with spirits of good nature, and be as one with nature.Its not an ancient Sacred Site as much as a place of learning, where those of good heart and mind can find what they seek....A place to visit before my toes curl up and its not that far that I could manage the visit,if the spirits are with me that day 8) And I dont mean Scotish Spirits Naughty Boy. :mrgreen: Stand in the corner

Valance Farm is just below the position where I picked up the stone circle Merlin, BUT I cannot pick up the Tumulus at or around the farm, have a cup of tea and look again later, busy day again and the eyes are playing up, its old age, well thats my excuse.

The road is Little Chesterford to Chesterford Park, where the trees cross the road south to north Merlin/Tom, thats one circle, and found an old crop circle OS map with the Valance Farm and Mound, but nothing picked up on Google yet ?
Thanks I will have a look at that
Helen-Healing wrote:Coincidentally, I went to Royston recently, specially to visit the cave. However we just missed one 'entry' (only 18 people are allowed in at a time) & had to wait 40 minutes for the next one. And we didn't get into that as we were nos 19 & 20! :roll: By this time my friend, who is almost 80, was getting knackered, so we left it for another day.
Royston is a very quaint place, sort of stuck in time! I was interested in all the info here on this thread, and will definitely take my rods etc the next time I go.
Next weekend is the last one for this year although there is an evening event next month but that's likely to be busy, take some crystals as well :)
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

NO tumulus /Barrow marked on the 154 OS map I have, but the Barrow is there above the road to the left of the other tree circles lower down, you can see it on Google easy just east of Chesterford Park, wonder why its missed, should have been included for historic reasons, once its gone who is left to remember it if its not recorded, not everyone is interested today, what with the iPOD and X FACTOR . :mrgreen:

Grahame Gardner wrote:You can still order complete sets of OS maps for the Michael Line from Penwith Press......Landranger 154 includes much of Royston and the Michael/Mary path, might be cheaper to get single OS maps following the line which interests you. 8) Money is tight, well with me it is :lol:

Helen-Healing wrote:Coincidentally, I went to Royston recently, specially to visit the cave. However we just missed one 'entry' (only 18 people are allowed in at a time) & had to wait 40 minutes for the next one. And we didn't get into that as we were nos 19 & 20! :roll: By this time my friend, who is almost 80, was getting knackered, so we left it for another day......Story of my life.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Thinking about the Royston Cave/Bell I was wondering how large the hole is at the top, could it be possible for the Michael/Mary Line above at ground level to seek out the hole thus making the cave/bell resonate to those forces, as this might explain the different level of platforms inside to provide people with two levels on which to experience the phenomenon perhaps at two different levels.I know in real/paranormal crop circles the forces often seek the least line of resistance passing short distances down tram lines to return to the main design a few feet away.Could the Michael/Mary line be doing the same at ground level,seeking out the hole to resonate around the chalk bell below offering at two heights different experiences, its a thought. In crop circles when I was taking pictures on a step ladder I dowsed at different heights within the design the force moved different directions than those at ground level.....And it could be proved by a tempory break with the Michael/Mary line above to see what affects this has within the chalk chamber, if the hot spot changed or disappeared, or by blocking in a tempory way the hole ? Question is would the Royston Cave people allow and research to see how/why the cave is active and powerful.Then the next question would be is the cave natural or man made, with it flooding often in heavy rain the water table has to be close to floor level, does this affect inside during this time ? Just wish I knew more, the cave is something special and should be exaimined in great detail while its still there, and I dont mean involve English Heritage, they dont believe in dowsers, well this one anyway. :lol: