Skeptiko - Synchronicity

Media reports from the scientific and natural world, not specifically about dowsing.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Skeptiko - Synchronicity

Post by Ian Pegler »

from Alex Tsakiris' Skeptiko podcast...
188. Dr. Kirby Surprise, Synchronicity is Real

Interviews with psychologist and author and Dr. Kirby Surprise explores whether or not synchronicity is real.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Re: Skeptiko - Synchronicity

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

From the book
People see in the mirror of events around them the image of their own inner life. They see what they think, feel and believe. They even see their fantasies about what causes these reflections.
Focusing on the house, I fantasized about what being able to move an object that large would be like. I was remembering a National Inquirer headline about a house that supposedly was turned over on its side by some psychic force.
As I stared at the house the entire cottage shuddered violently. The house started to move. It rolled over onto its side.
Does the psychologist need a psychiatrist? No. Apparently he had anticipated the action of a hidden bulldozer.

Is synchronicity caused by our fantasies as the author suggests or is Jung nearer the mark? Is this experience synchronistic or precognitive - or some other psychic phenomenon? Is it not a psychic phenomenon at all but simply an observation that external events have symbolic significance for the observer?