Blue John stone

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Blue John stone

Post by mike »

Saw the wonderful Blue John Stone on TV tonight, it is the only place in the UK that mines it.Its a really wonderful stone with so many colours depending on the minerals around it where its been compacted for millions of years in a seam.Out of 18 places/seams known world wide the mine just south of Leeds has 8 seams of the Blue John Stone, so its rare and very sought after, and the stone is made into all manner of things like ash trays and ear rings and all sorts of Jewellery.It costs a lot for it to be turned in a machine and polished to bring its colours out, but if I could afford it, I would have it all over the house.Its one of those things like Aventurine, such a wonderful colour which has a kind of magic to it and lifts you when your down, along with Crystal these things balance and warms the heart in many ways....Im going to dowse the mine tonight to see how widespread the seam is, and if other seams are near, even the Romans its said had mugs made of Blue John all that time ago.

Casleton S33 8WA. The mine in Hope Valley....A quick dowse around the area and I believe another seam to be north/east of the Hope Valley, with a very deep seam west of that one in my opinion.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Re: Blue John Limestone

Post by mike »

Well I had another quick look tonight and to the west of the Blue John mine I believe is another outcrop, about half the amount of the other site lies to the west some distance, and its shallow this time. I saw on the video where its said the BJ limestone is rare, but the more I look the more I find. 8)
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

We have a few pieces of rough BlueJohn in the house. My wife, who is an ex-ballet dancer, found it very good for sore muscles. She would sleep with a piece of it in a scarf tied round her leg when in pain.
The shop at one of the mines used to keep a few pieces in a box behind the counter that they would sell very cheaply. It wasn't good enough to be polished, but works just fine as a crystal.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

When I saw the video and later the polished things on line for sale I felt they offered healing, or at least warm and good feelings for those who obtained some of those rocks.I liked/loved the BJ the moment I saw it Grahame, its one of those things which stand apart as something to keep close and cheerish I feel....Just a pity its so expensive to buy, everyone should have some in the house.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Blue John stone

Post by Grahame »

If you would allow me to put my pedant hat on for a moment - technically it's a type of fluorite, nothing to do with limestone... :mrgreen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_John_(mineral)

**EDIT** I've updated the thread title.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Re: Blue John stone

Post by mike »

I stand corrected :lol: .I read it was Limestone, so I thought here is my chance to look important,if only for a short while.But the stone does have a influence to it which is unique I feel, I was drawn to it the moment I saw it on the video about the BJ Cavern and the mining there,no chance I could walk down there now, but the photos are great and allow you to absorb the atmosphere of the place.