depth of buried item

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.
Paul Mellor
Beginner
Beginner

depth of buried item

Post by Paul Mellor »

Some years ago I was dowsing around my large garden and I had a very positive reaction in a spot on my lawn. Interrogating the rods came up with an item of silver at 8 feet down. As the item was in an ornamental lawn I used a rabbiting spade to dig a hole down to a depth of 5 foot by 1 foot diameter, in the excavated soil there were small pieces of charcoal. The house was built in 1928 on a virgin field in rural Derbyshire along the Trent valley, the area in the past having been occupied by Romans and Vikings. My question is would an item even with ploughing and soil drift end up being buried to a depth of 8 feet? I need to decide wether to dig a bigger hole to the depth of 8 feet or fill it in and forget it.
Paul Mellor
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Re: depth of buried item

Post by mike »

My experience Paul has shown if you wish to get the exact depth of any item underground, you stand over the object you have found and dowse it, THEN walk at right angles away from that object to dowse its SHADOW, thats the item in question casting a depth SHADOW away from its position..You should be able to walk the other direction getting the SAME distance to the items shadow in other directions, AS the depth should remain the same walking away from the item you first stood and dowsed over......Hope I have made this clear enough, and it works for me,it can be very precise given you believe it works. 8)
Paul Mellor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Paul Mellor »

Thanks for that I used this method as a means to find the depth of telephone cables and ducts when I worked for BT. What I was really asking was that when you watch Time Team they very rarely dig beyond 3 ft deep so as this object always seems to be at 8 feet it seems odd and as its in an ornemental lawn its a big job to undertake!.
Paul Mellor
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Hi Paul,
I would hire one of those post hole screws that just drills down to the depth you want, this way when you get close to eight feet you can change to one of those two bladed things to remove the last few inches where the silver object is.Like you said you cannot dig a huge hole for something that might just be a silver coin or brooch, I would stand over it and ask for a precise object till you have a better idea just what it might be.The fact its eight feet down means nothing Paul, something small could have dropped down an old well hole or rabbit /badger burrow years ago when the area was just fields or woods.But the last thing you want to do is go to all that trouble to find a small water spring at the position of eight feet down, be sure you know just what it is before you start work....AND please let us know what you found, you have me in suspenders :mrgreen: now thinking about what it could be.