The G.O.D experiments

Share your experience of non-fiction dowsing-related books and other written stuff (e.g. websites, self-published and e-books).

Moderator: simonwheeler

ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

The G.O.D experiments

Post by ledgehammer »

Hi

wasnt sure where to post this, as we dont have a "books" section, which may be a good idea when revising the site?

I read a lot of books about dowsing, and other things and would be usefull to create a topic for books which have been usefull, this may help new dowsers (like myself) find good resources, with specific feedback from others.

(the G.O.D experiments by Gary E.Schwartz PH.D)

Gary describes his search for an intelligent basis beneath everything, he puts it as a Guiding-organising-designing (G.O.D) process, most of the experiments are aimed at disprooving a random order of things, implying that there is some design process involved.
The book itself is a great read and enjoyed it thoroughly, the first experiment he completes is with Chris Robinsom the "Dream detective", and is compelling. References to Phi and the golden ratio and "random" experiments are really interesting... anyway well worth a read and I think I picked the book up for less than 4 quid, so is very inexpensive...

This is a quote from the book
A black box fell out of the sky and landed somewhere in the southwest of the United States. It produced a crater of enormous proportions. The government immediately dispatched investigators to the scene. They fenced off the crater and kept everyone away, save the military and some key scientists and politicians.
Headlines screamed, "what could the black box be"? leading researchers were asked to examine it.

First came the physicists, and they did what physicists do: they measured the temperature of the box, bombarded it with subatomic particles, and attempted to reach a conclusion by studying its pysical structure. But try as they might, they could make no sense of the data they retrieved. The box remained a complete mystery.

Next came the chemists. They did what chemists do. They measured its chemical composition, and poured various liquids on to it , including strong acids and bases. But try as they might , they could make no sense of the box, which had a chemical structure of the likes no-one had encountered before. They left the site not giving any answer.

Along came the biologists, and they did what biologists do. They searched for signs of biological life, attaching surface electrodes and measuring oxygen comsumption, and recording electromagnetic fields, a process similar to recording electro-cardiograms and brain waves. But try as they might , they could make no sense of the signals they observed. The box, they said, did not appear to have anything measurable that looked like d.n.a or cells.

Finally, as a last resort, the officials in charge of the investigation reluctantly allowed a psychologist- we shall call her DR Smith- to see the box. She pulled up a chair, sat down and took out a pencil and paper and adressed the box in a warm and friendly manner.

She said "hi my mane is DR Smith, and I would very much like to talk with you" she paused and gently said, "what is you name" and the box replied "Harry"
This made me smile!

best wishes

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Re: The G.O.D experiments

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

So what did Harry say next????
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Waiting with baited breath for Harry's pronouncements!! :P
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

ledgehammer wrote:wasnt sure where to post this, as we dont have a "books" section, which may be a good idea when revising the site?
Actually, you're not the first person to suggest a books section Tom - Simon Wheeler originally suggested the idea about a year ago. Ooh, I think I feel a poll coming on... :mrgreen:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

HI,

That is the end of the story Im afraid....:-)

The point being that the instruments we use are not the end all, scientists can prod, poke and analyise the world but, but ignore the obvious methods, such as talking, I just thought it was a great story...

:-)

best wishes

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

The END? The END of the story? This book has a hallmark of extraordinary rendition. :)
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Grahame Gardner wrote:
ledgehammer wrote:wasnt sure where to post this, as we dont have a "books" section, which may be a good idea when revising the site?
Actually, you're not the first person to suggest a books section Tom - Simon Wheeler originally suggested the idea about a year ago. Ooh, I think I feel a poll coming on... :mrgreen:
Graham,

Great minds? :-)

It would be great, I have absorbed so much knowledge just from suggestions by other contributors, because I have had the guile to ask, If this info was available to all... wow, online library BSD!

Tom
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Lyndon Ronstadt wrote:The END? The END of the story? This book has a hallmark of extraordinary rendition. :)
Lyndon.... indeed :-)

It had occurred to me that we could write the story from here onwards.... Personally I think Harry is part of a family, some of which are different shapes and colours, perhaps they distributed themselves accross the galaxy to seek out new life and learn?

Tom